2008/01/23

I went to the park today...

I had a meeting this morning, about an hour from home.

After the meeting I decided to walk around and visit 'El Olivar' (The Olive Grove), a small park in the district of San Isidro.

I've been there hundreds of times in the past, but never noticed all the things I saw today, in the past I was busy walking across it to go to class and never stopped.

Today I took my mini camera and my new 'bird watching eyes' with me and saw many beautiful creatures, too bad my camera doesn't have a good zoom and I have not enough practice yet, but even though I couldn't picture the prettier ones I'm happy!



One thing that made me smile a lot was that on the main path that goes to the middle of the park where a small pond is, I found a few information boards with descriptions of the birds that often visit the park! It's so great! Not many people looked at them but I was stopping by each one of them, trying to memorise names, colours and shapes... First time I found something like that in a public park in Lima!


Once by the pond... Care for a bath?


And an unexpected 'visitor'...


On the way back found a new kind of bin that it's suppoused to be for dog owners use... A girl, that couldn't be more than 5 years old was horrified trying to ask her mom about it... 'Look mom! Is it to throw away puppies???' (with a face that could break any heart), the mom started laughing while the poor girl cried...


And well, I couldn't really get too close but I tried...

And at the end I found this guy sitting on a power line, when I downloaded the pic it looked, it looked a little bit like a flag to me...

'Welcome to birdsnation'

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful park!! Is that a Black-crowned Night-Heron?

Very funny about the puppy trash can!!

Good to see you using Birdstack! Seems like a pretty neat way of keeping track of birds.

Mel said...

Yes it is! You know I'm new in all this and I am learning as I find these fellows. I know these guys are the most widespread heron but also that they often have more activity at night, so it was kind of a cool gift/surprise to find this one at noon!

Owlman said...

Thanks for stopping in at my blog. I'm glad to see that the world has a new birder! It's interesting how you mention that you went to the park with your new birding eyes – it's kind of like viewing the world with a new lens. You actually wonder why you haven't noticed these amazing birds before. It's strange to me; being a lifelong birder; that people don't notice amazing birds around them. You sound like you are on the right track looking at birds around you. This is definitely the best way to bird. You’ll be amazed how many birds you’ll see around you, even in a big city. You are definitely in an amazing spot to see birds. Enjoy – I look forward to reading about your discoveries.

Mel said...

Thanks for stopping by, owlman! Yes, we don't see the wonders around us as much as we should, but I certainly want to do so!
Thank you for your support! feel free to leave comments anytiem, every piece of advice is very welcome!