2009/03/07

The Owl Lady


Last week I met my friend Paquita after 3 years or so. We've known each other for about a decade now, and even though there are a couple of decades between us, you can never tell the difference when you talk to her.


I can't remember when we met exactly but it was at my old school. My mother was a pre-school teacher there and Paquita was the "Book's Lady".

Oh, well, I love books, it's only natural that we met in the Library, right?


When we meet, even after years of not talking or meeting, it is as if we just continued yesterday's conversation. It is so natural, we talk about everything, we laugh a lot and dream a lot.


That sunny day last week, after our huge ice creams, we walked to her appartment. Did I mention that she likes Owls? She collects them in any form. I forgot about that until we started walking towards her place. I asked how many she had, she said she lost count when she hit the 400 mark.


I could stare on them for hours, they are all different, made with all sorts of materials and collected from all over. They are gifts from friends and family, and the product of many years of searching for new birds.


The next pic shows my thumb nail, just to give you an idea of the size of some of these guys...


Paquita has all sort of owl items...


This girl holds the door open in the owl room...


And this guy stares at you from the shower door!


It's always nice to meet Paquita, I hope the next time it doesn't take us 3 years to meet again!

16 comments:

ivars krafts said...

This is a most interesting post. You have a wonderful and interesting friend! Thank you for sharing her and her collection with us.

Mel said...

Hola Ivars,
She's a great person with a huge heart and I love her very much.
Her collection is really impressive!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Wow! Your friend has a most impressive owl collection. Age difference doesn't matter with good friends.

Mel said...

Hola Lynne :)
Yes, her collection is amazing, you can stay there bird watching for days. Each one is different!

Vickie said...

Its wonderful to have a friend you can treasure for such a long time. And she does have quite an owl collection!

Mel said...

Hi Vickie!
Yes, it is a blessing to have long time friends to meet from time to time :)
I wonder how many she really has...

ShySongbird said...

Hi Mel,

That's an impressive collection but my goodness just imagine having to clean it all!!

Q said...

Dear Mel,
She loves Owls....such an amazing collection.
Thank you for reminding me that it is okay to have friens you do not see often....as long as they are in your heart, you will just pick right back up.
Hugs,
Sherry

Mel said...

Hola amig@s :)


ShySongbird,
I thought that too at the beginning, but she has most of it in a close glass cabinet, so, all of them are dust free! Anyway, everything was spotless!!


Sherry,
Friends are a blessing, and even though we sometimes 'forget' about one or two, it's always a joy to be able to 'reconnect'.

Sekhar said...

Oh my God.. never seen so many owls in one place. A true owl-lover indeed. And a BIG THANKS for you Mel for introducing us this owl-crazy friend of yours ;)

Dawn Fine said...

What a HOOT!
Wow weeeeeee.....thats a whole lotta owls.
love those teeny tiny ones!

Mel said...

Hola chicos :)


Sekhar,
Yes, it was impressive. My grandma used to have lots of them sotting on her window. I have no idea of what happened to them after she moved to her new little house. I totally forgot about that until now!


Dawn,
The little ones are adorable! With lots of details.

Anonymous said...

I too am an owl of the night. Nature Diary was a means to an end. You've got to open your wings and move with me, Mel. As an owl, I do fly, you know. And no, I have not lost any of my emotions and feelings concerning Nature. They are still within me, more than ever in fact. At this very moment, at six o'clock on this Monday morning, I am listening to little birds outside in the distance. My bird table fell over in the wind last month and is broken into pieces. I did not have a single bird come to visit from the very first day I built it. I don't know why. I was so hoping to have just one feathered friend. But it didn't happen. So I have been by myself and yet I can hear birds in the distance. That is how it has been. I don't know why. It is what The Double Life Of Veronique is all about.

Meggie said...

That's quite an owl collection. I don't think I've ever seen one quite like it. Glad you had a nice visit.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! So many owls! Impressive! Just.. don't know what else to say.. such a crazy (in a good meaning) collection. Although I guess they're more part of life then just a collection to your friend.

Mel said...

Hi guys!
It is a crazy but fun collection ;)