2008/08/23

New visitors

We've been missing birds VERY much.

But at least we had some unusual visitors at home lately.

This one was on the kitchen door, don't ask me what it is, because I have no idea. This is the first time I've seen this.


This snail left a 'gift' on the front door. We found it at 3am.


The next picture was taken by Tommy. He says it was about 10cm long!!! VERY unusual for where we live.


We are not familiar with this species either. So, this post is mostly to get some information. We would like to properly id these visitors.



We hope to be able to go on a little trip next weekend. Hopefully we'll be able to see some birds and get out of this grey city for a change (winter down here)

5 comments:

Meggie said...

While I appreciate tiny critters, I'm not very good at identification. Sorry! Hope someone else is able to help.

RuthieJ said...

Hi again Mel,
I just couldn't help myself and had to drag out my insect and butterfly field guides. I'm not for sure on Tommy's giant grasshopper--the wing color is what would help with the ID on that one, but it looks similar to the large Carolina Locust we have here in Minnesota.
I'm reasonably certain your little butterfly is in the Skipper family, but there are hundreds! It looks closest to the Southwest Roadside-Skippers featured in my butterfly field guide.

Anonymous said...

Despues de un viaje a Iquitos, here are some of the pics, enjoy them

http://rudychalco.wordpress.com/international-expeditions-tour/

Stuart Price said...

We get some interesting bugs here too..........in fact I had a nasty dream about spiders last night.......

Snail said...

Is that first picture a slug? Here in Australia we have some introduced species that look very similar to it. They belong to the family Veronicellidae. One species, Vaginulus plebeius, has arrived here from South America, so maybe that's it?